Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440
This recipe is dead simple. Prep time is only about 15 minutes and the reward is a dense, chewy loaf with a thick, rocky crust. The texture of this is almost as great as the taste.
I usually use green onion, rosemary and black pepper for added flavour, but jalapeño and cheese works great as well (see below).
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
400 ml of beer
1 green onion, chopped
1/8 cup melted vegan margarine
dried rosemary and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients and beer, and mix until everything is moist.
3. Pour into a greased loaf pan, and stretch it to fill out the corners.
4. Pour melted vegan margarine over mixture.
5. Top with black pepper and rosemary.
6. Bake for one hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Sifting the flour will make for a less dense bread, but I prefer mine on the heavier side
- Play around with different styles. I find brown ales go better with whole wheat flour, and German Weissebiers better with all-purpose flour, but don’t limit yourself
- It’s at its best reheated, on the second and third days